The Preemie Project seeks to provide comfort and support to critically ill infants and their families in Newborn Intensive Care Units in Iowa. We achieve our mission through the support of a devoted group of local and national volunteers.
Updated Urgent Needs
Our volunteers have been wonderful this year about responding to our needs. At this time we are very well stocked with regular hats that are given to babies when they are admitted to the NICU. We are still overstocked on knit and crochet blankets.
Looking for projects to work on for the Babies? These are our current knit, crochet and sewing needs.
1. Hats and booties for our special donations. Next up - UI Hawkeye Black/Gold and ISU Cardinal/Gold. See our events calendar for more information
2. Developmental Hearts: We also need some that are smaller than the 8 inch heart template included with the pattern. 5in, 6in, 7in would be great for smaller babies.
3. Tied fleece blankets to use as isolette covers at Blank Children’s NICU. These are made with 2 pieces of fleece that are 1 1/3 yard each.
4. Flannel “Button Buddies” for St. Lukes’s NICU babies with g-tubes. You can find a great sewing pattern here
5. White knit or crochet blankets for our infant bereavement packages. Sizes: 15 inches square up to 36 inch square
6. White knit and crochet hats and booties for infant bereavement packages. Size: 1lb up to 11 lb
Posted by Laura Pabich on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Crafting Needs Update
Please note the following updates to our Crafting Needs:
Pink and Blue hats and booties in 3 -5 lb and 6-8 lb sizes. We have an excess of other colors. We always need more boy hats than girl.
Red, White and Blue Hats and booties for our 4th of July Donation. See our calendar of events. Remember, for every 8 hats, make 1 1-3lb, 3 3-5lb, 3 6-8lb, 1 9-11lb.
In accordance with the Safe Sleep Recommendations by the American Society of Pediatrics, The University of Iowa Children’s Hospital NICU and St. Lukes’s NICU, Cedar Rapids, IA will no longer accept blankets to pass out to families. Therefore, The Preemie Project is finding itself with a huge overstock of blankets. Until further notice, we DO NOT need donations of blankets to send home with families
Posted by Linda Aker on Mar 15, 2015 at 11:11 am
We have a NEW Address
ATTENTION: Effective Immediately, The Preemie Project has a new mailing address. From here on, if you are mailing items, the address is
The Preemie Project
2607 Flagstone Court
Coralville, IA 52241
Volunteers that have been with us for the last 10 years will recognize this as our “old address”, otherwise known as TPP Headquarters. We are giving up our Post Office box because it has gotten too difficult to get donations picked up on a regular basis.
We have not turned in our keys to the PO box yet and will not for several weeks. So, if you have sent a package there, we will get it picked up. Once we turn in a change of address all mail will be forwarded for 6 months. No worries if you accidentally send it to the wrong place.
Posted by Laura Pabich on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:01 pm