Volunteer Crafting Guidelines
Items we are accepting:
Hats and Booties
- We request that blankets measure AT LEAST 30" by 30"
- Blankets may be knit, crochet, sewn, tied fleece, quilted, etc.
- Items include Gowns, Sleeper Sacks, Kimonos, Burial Buntings, Angel and Miscarriage Wraps
- Mother's Tears Hankies, Small Stuffed Teddy Bears and Bunnies, Memento Bracelets
General Crafting Guidelines
- Materials must be very soft and machine washable
- Acrylic and cottons are best
- We cannot accept items made with wool or pompadour
- See list of suggested yarns
- Try our "Scratch Test" when choosing material. Rub the yarn/fabric on the inside of your forearm. If it feels scratchy it is too rough to be used to make preemie items
- We accept all colors and patterns
- Bright and Pastel colors and baby patterns are most requested
- See our Measurement Guide
- Verify that the length and width of hats fall within the same size category so they fit well
Preparing Your Donations
- Please wash soiled items before sending with Dreft
- Do not use fabric softener
- Package each item or set in a separate ziploc bag.
- Include a Donation Tag
- Include your name and address so we can thank you!
- Mail your Donations to The Preemie Project, PO Box 1310, Iowa City, IA 52244 or drop them off at an Iowa Donation Center.
Bereavement Crafting Guidelines
Colors for Blankets and other Bereavement Items
- Soft pastels work best. These colors complement the babies in photographs. Acceptable colors include soft shades of pink, blue, green, yellow, peach, green and variegated yarns.
- White blankets are also needed for Christening/Baptismal purposes.
- Soft baby yarn is preferred. A smaller gown is best in a lighter weight yarn or the tiny child will be overwhelmed by the weight of the garment.
- Do not use excessively old yarn for these garments. Even the best baby yarn will become brittle and dry with age.
We need sleeper sacks of all sizes for both boys and girls. These are best in soft pastels. White sleeper sacks are appropriate for Christening/baptismal packages, especially the tiny sizes.
As requested by the nursing staff, we donate gowns and other outfits to be used for bereavement purposes and for Christening/Baptism.
- <1lb and 1-3lb sizes should have at least a partial sleeve and no elastic. Sleeves are not essential for the larger sizes.
- They need to be long enough to cover over the feet. Please refer to our measurement guide for proper neck to foot length for each size.
- If the pattern is excessively holey, please line the skirt with a soft fabric.
- Bereavement gowns are best in pale pastels. If you choose to make a bereavement gown in white, include some pastel trim or lining to bring out the color.
- Solid White gowns and outfits are needed in all sizes for christening and baptism. Christening/baptismal gowns should be long enough to flow over the feet.
- 2/3 Of our bereavement blankets are used for receiving, holding, and burial. These blankets need to be in soft pastel colors, both solid and variegated yarns
- 1/3 Of our bereavement blankets are used for Christening and/or Baptism. These blankets need to be white. The NICU informed us that often parents wish to Christen/Baptize their babies when they are born in critical condition.
The Preemie Project continues to be non-secular. However we have chosen to support needs identified by the UIHC nursing staff.
December 16, 2013
2013 Winter Holidays Donation
Iowa Neonatal Intensive Care Units
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Coral Ridge Mall Gift Wrap Fundraiser
Coral Ridge Mall, near the Food Court
4 - 10pm
January 18, 2014
Iowa City Work Group #1
View All Upcoming Events
The Preemie Project | PO Box 1310 | Iowa City, IA 52244
Copyright © 2007-2011 The Preemie Project. All rights reserved.
The Preemie Project is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit organization.
Having trouble finding something? Look at the site map
Hosting Provided by EngineHosting