We are asking The Preemie Project Volunteers to make 500 solid red NEWBORN sized hats. The hats will be donated to The Iowa American Heart Association Little Hats Big Hearts Campaign
The Preemie Project collected just under 500 hats for them last year. They would love to be able to double the number of Iowa hospitals they include in this educational campaign. We know TPP volunteers can help them out in a very big way! We hope to have at least 500 or more hats to send to them this year
Red Hats are given to infants in Mother Baby Units and Neonatal Intensive Car Units during the month of February. The hats are used to raise awareness of heart disease and congenital Heart defects.
- Hats should be 12.5 to 14.5 inches around.
- Hats should be from 5 to 6 inches long.
- Hats must be SOLID RED.
- DO NOT add buttons, bows, flowers, ribbons, or any hanging cords.
- Simple hat patterns are requested.
- Please make sure your hat can easily be stretched over the tiny heads.
- Please use soft DK or Worsted weight yarn. Do not use sport or fingering weight yarns. If the yarn calls for a size 5 to size 9 needle, it a good weight yarn
- Acrylic yarn works best for baby hats. Please NO WOOL!
So, devoted volunteers, when you buy Red, White and Blue for our 4th of July donation, would you throw in a few extra skeins of Red?
Please send your hats to:
The Preemie Project
2607 Flagstone Court
Coralville, IA 52241
Or, you can drop them off at one of our Donation Centers.
Donation Deadline: July 31, 2017
We will deliver hats to the Cedar Rapids Heart Association office towards the end of August. Thank you for any help you can give us in meeting our goal of 500 RED Hats!