The Preemie Project Bereavement Division seeks to provide solace to Iowa families that are grieving the loss of an infant. We do this by providing bereavement clothing and remembrance items.
We provide packages to hospitals we support that include an outfit, tiny diapers, hat/headband, booties (when appropriate) and blanket. We also include a tiny memento bracelet and a sympathy card.
General Crafting Guidelines for Infant Bereavement items.
- Knit or crochet items including blankets, gowns, hats, booties must be made from a pattern that is not excessively holey. A very lacey pattern should not be used.
- Gowns should always be long enough to flow over the feet
- Sleeves must be long enough to cover the arms
- Dark or Bold colors are never used for infant bereavement items. Ideal colors include baby blue, light pink, very light yellow, pale green and white.
- Do not use varigated yarns for infant bereavement items.
- Do not add stripes of color or multiple colors to any item.
- Simple is best for this sad time.
The following is a list of items that we ask volunteers to make for our infant bereavement packages. Click on the links for more information on crafting each item