The Preemie Project Bereavement Division seeks to provide solace to Iowa families that are grieving the loss of an infant. We do this by providing bereavement clothing and remembrance items.
We provide packages to Iowa hospitals that request them. The packages include an outfit, tiny diapers, hat/headband, booties (when appropriate), blanket, tiny memento bracelet and a sympathy card.
To request infant bereavement supplies for your Iowa hospital, please email email@example.com
The following is a list of items that we ask volunteers to make for our infant bereavement packages. Click on the links below for more information about crafting each item
General Crafting Guidelines for Infant Bereavement items.
- Knit or crochet items including blankets, gowns, hats, booties must be made from a pattern that is not excessively holey. A very lacy pattern should not be used.
- Gowns should always be long enough to flow over the feet
- Sleeves must be long enough to cover the arms
- Booties must be easy to put on the tiny foot. Be sure that you bind off very loosely so the opening can be stretched.
- Dark or Bold colors are never used for infant bereavement items. Ideal colors include baby blue, light pink, cream, pale green and white.
- Do not use variegated yarns for infant bereavement items.
- Do not add stripes of color or multiple colors to any item.
- Simple is best for this sad time.