A long time volunteer for The Preemie Project worked closely with us to develop this pattern for a knit sleep sack. This item has been very popular with some of the hospitals we support. The sleep sacks are included in a portion of the infant bereavement packages donated to Iowa Hospitals.
How can you help?
Knit the sleep sacks using this pattern only. Be sure to closely follow all details for colors, length and crafting guidelines.
The biggest need is for the 1-1.5lb, 2-3lb, and 3-5lb sizes. We need fewer of the 6-8lb and 9-11lb sizes
- Bernat Softee Baby
- Hobby Lobby Baby Bee Sweet Delight.
Biggest need is for light pink and baby blue – solid colors only.
About 1/4 of the sleep sacks used are pale green, white, or cream.
**Use yellow ONLY if it is a very pale yellow**
Crafting Guidelines for Knit Sleep Sacks:
- Do NOT use Worsted weight yarn. It is too heavy for bereavement garments.
- To size the sleep sack, first measure the chest; the chest measurement will tell you size range you are making. Check that the sleeve length and garment length are within the correct size range. Refer to our Measurements Guide.
- See our List of Suggested Yarn. This pattern was written for Bernat Softee Baby. The pattern works best with that yarn or Hobby Lobby Baby Bee Sweet Delight.
- Use solid color yarn only in the knit gowns. Simple is best for bereavement.
- Please knit the pattern as it is written. Do not add cables or other intricate stitches. A simple pattern is best for bereavement.
- The sleep sack opens all the way down the front and closes with buttons, not ribbon.
- Please bind off the sleeves very loosely so it is easy to get the tiny hand through the opening.