The Preemie Project miscarriage package was developed at the request of nursing management at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) Women’s clinic. The items included in the package were specified by the clinic. Miscarriage packages are also donated to UIHC Labor and Delivery and other Iowa units that request them.
The Preemie Project miscarriage package includes a tiny knit or crochet memento blanket, a sympathy card, tiny baby feet charm and votive candle. The miscarriage package is intended for women that suffer a loss before the child is big enough to be viewed, held and dressed. The tiny blanket serves as a memento of the baby that was lost.
How Can You Help?
Knit or crochet tiny blankets following the size, color and crafting guidelines that were specified by UIHC Women’s Clinic nursing management.
Miscarriage blankets should be from 8 inches x 8 inches up to 9 inches x 9 inches square. If they are bigger, they will not fit easily in the packages.
- Use the very softest baby yarn you can find.
- Yarn should be of DK weight or lighter. Baby yarn is best. Worsted weight yarn is not appropriate for these tiny items.
- Refer to our list of suggested yarn for bereavement
- Use a pattern that is pleasing to look at. A plain stockinette knit stitch or double crochet blanket is not appropriate.
- Sewn blankets are not used in these packages.
The blankets should be solid, gender-neutral colors such as white, cream, very light green or very light yellow.
Do not use yarn that has ANY pink, purple, peach, or blue in it.
Do not use ANY dark or bold colors.