The Preemie Project includes a size appropriate knit or crochet blanket in packages supplied to Iowa Hospitals for infant bereavement purposes.
How Can You Help?
Help to bring comfort and support to Iowa families grieving the loss of a child by donating knit or crochet blankets made following our size, color and crafting guidelines.
All sizes are needed from less than 1 lb up to full-term newborn. See our Volunteer Measurement Guide for measurements for each size.
- Use yarn that is DK weight (3 – light) or lighter. See our List of Suggested Yarn
- When choosing yarn, it must be very soft. We love Hobby Lobby Baby Bee Sweet Delight.
- Do NOT use a pattern that is excessively lacey. The blanket should fully cover the child.
- The blanket must be lightweight so it does not overwhelm the tiniest infants.
- A heavyweight blanket will not fit in our packages
- Finish the blanket with a nice border to make it special.
- If you crochet blankets, we recommend using a C2C pattern. Here is a good tutorial.
Page updated 02/17/19
We need at least 2/3 of the blankets in solid white yarn. The other 1/3 needed in solid light pink and solid light blue. Do NOT use variegated yarns
You are free to use the pattern of your choice; here are a few suggestions.
Confetti Baby Blanket – Crochet
Spring into Summer Blanket – Crochet