The Preemie Project includes a knit or crochet blanket in packages supplied to Iowa Hospitals for infant bereavement
15 inch x 15 inch for earliest losses – less than 1 lb
20 inch x 20 inch for 1 – 1.5lb
25 inch x 25 inch for 2-3lb
30 inch x 30 inch for 3-5lb
36 inch x 36 inch for full term losses.
We need equal numbers of all sizes of blankets. Please make both the tiny and the larger size blankets.
We need at least 2/3 of the blankets to be solid white. The other 1/3 needed in solid light pink and solid light blue
- Do NOT use worsted weight yarn. Use DK weight or lighter. See our List of Suggested Yarn
- Yarns appropriate for bereavement are those that call for a size 6 needle or G crochet hook, or smaller.
- Soft baby yarn is preferred
- All blankets should be solid color, white, light pink, light blue only. Do NOT use variegated yarns.
- Do NOT use a pattern that is excessively lacey. The blanket should fully cover the child.
- The blanket must be light weight so it does not overwhelm the tiniest infants. A heavy weight blanket will not fit in our packages
- Finish the blanket with a nice border to make the blanket special.
- If you crochet blankets, we recommend using a C2C pattern. Here is a good tutorial. When used with a light weight yarn, C2C creates a blanket that is attractive but covers well. Be use to use a lighter weight yarn like Bernat Softee Baby or Hobby Lobby Baby Bee Sweet Delight.
You are free to use the pattern of your choice; here are a few suggestions.
Confetti Baby Blanket – Crochet
Spring in to Summer Blanket – Crochet