Below is a list of yarns that are soft enough for our babies. There are many other great yarn brands available. This list should only be used as a “softness guide”.
Red Heart Baby (DO NOT use Pompadour, Super Saver or Sport)
Red Heart Soft Baby
Red Heart Soft
Lion Brand Baby Soft
Caron Simply Soft
I love this Yarn – Hobby Lobby
YARNS FOR BEREAVEMENT ITEMS
Do NOT use worsted weight yarns for bereavement items
Wendy Peter Pan
Patons Beehive Baby Sport
Berroco Comfort DK
Baby Bee Sweet Delight – Hobby Lobby
Bernat Softee Baby
- Yarn used to make items for the NICU must be exceptionally soft. To determine if your yarn is soft enough, rub it on the inside tender part of your upper arm or neck.
- Do NOT use any super bulky yarn like Bernat Baby Blanket. It is too warm for the babies.
- Do not use “Eyelash Yarn”. The yarn strands can become tangled in wires and tubing.
- Do NOT use Red Heart Super Saver or any “Big Ball Value Yarn” for any items for hospitalized babies
- Acrylic yarn is the best choice for NICU babies. Most cotton yarns work up too stiff and hard. No wool please!