The Preemie Project makes up packages for infant bereavement that include a blanket, outfit, hat and booties. We ask that the hats for bereavement be solid color with a bit of detail in the pattern to make it special.
11/3/17 We are overstocked on all sizes of hats and booties for bereavement. If you enjoy making hats and booties, please concentrate on those for our holiday donations.
Hats as small as 6 inches around are needed for very early loss. That size hat would fit over a large egg. The tiny hats should be at least 3 inches long so they will fit a variety of sizes. All other sizes are also needed a up to 9-11lb size.
The hats for very early loss are needed in white and pale colors of green, yellow, pink and blue. (the size to fit over an egg).
1 lb up to 11 lb hats should be white, light pink, pale blue. At least 1/2 of the hats and booties for bereavement should be plain white.
- These hats must be very stretchy and easy to put on the tiny baby.
- Make sure that booties have a wide stretchy opening so they are easy to put on the baby.
- Do NOT make bonnet style hats.
- Please refer to our Measurements Guide when sizing hats and booties.
- NO DARK OR BRIGHT COLORS PLEASE!
- Use DK weight or lighter. Do NOT use worsted weight yarn. See our List of Suggested Yarn
You are free to use the pattern of your choice; here are a few suggestions.
Bev’s Baby and Micro Preemie Ribs NOTE: The micro-preemie pattern is perfect for very early loss.
So-Soft Preemie Hat-crochet version
So-Soft Preemie Hat – knit version