The Preemie Project makes up packages for infant bereavement that include a blanket, outfit, hat, and booties. We ask that the hats for bereavement be a solid color with a bit of detail in the pattern to make it special.
All sizes of hats are needed from 1 lb up to 11 lb. See our measurement guide for help with sizing hats.
We need at least 2/3 of the hats and booties for infant bereavement to be solid white. Other colors needed are solid light pink and light blue.
- These hats must be very stretchy and easy to put on the tiny baby.
- Make sure that booties have a wide stretchy opening so they are easy to put on the baby.
- Do NOT make bonnet style hats.
- Hats should be knit or crochet.
- Do not send Loom-knit hats or sewn fleece/jersey hats for bereavement packages.
- Please refer often to our Measurements Guide .
- NO DARK OR BRIGHT COLORS PLEASE! Soft pale pastel only.
- Use DK weight or lighter. Do NOT use worsted weight yarn. See our List of Suggested Yarn
You are free to use the pattern of your choice; here are a few suggestions.
Bev’s Baby and Micro Preemie Ribs NOTE: The micro-preemie pattern is perfect for a very early loss. Be sure that the hats are 3.0-3.5 inches long.
So-Soft Preemie Hat-crochet version
So-Soft Preemie Hat – knit version