In response to the needs of Iowa hospitals, The Preemie Project developed a pattern for a sewn flannel gown for infant bereavement. This gown is made using a double layer of flannel that closes with velcro to provide extra coverage for the fragile infants.
To request infant bereavement supplies for your Iowa hospital, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How Can You Help?
Purchase soft flannel fabric and sew the gowns. Be sure to closely follow all size, color and crafting requirements for this item. You do not need to add the velcro to the gown. We purchase velcro in bulk and will add it in accordance with the specifications of the nursing staff.
More of the smaller sizes 2-3 lb, 3-5 lb, are needed; less of the 6-8 lb and 9-11 lb.
- The gown should be made from soft flannel. A stretchy cotton jersey is also acceptable
- Line the gown with the same flannel/cotton jersey as the outside of the gown or white.
- Please use small subdued prints (polka dots, tiny stars, tiny hearts).
- Cartoonish prints are not acceptable for bereavement gowns.
- Understated is always best for all items for infant bereavement.
- Do not include any embellishments like buttons, ribbons or topstitching that is a different color from the fabric.
- Do not put snaps on the gown
- If sending the gown to The Preemie Project, you can send it without the velcro.
These gowns are made with soft flannel fabric using small prints such as tiny polka dots, stars etc.
Colors must be pastel, subdued colors. No dark or bright colors.
Pink and blue are most requested by families.
Gender neutral colors of pale green, gray and white are needed, especially in the smaller sizes.