The mission of The Preemie Project NICU Bedding Program is to create a comfortable, colorful environment for families with donations of soft colorful sheets. Initially, infants in the NICU are very critically ill. Most of the caregiving activities are performed by the nursing staff. Often, the only caregiving act parents can perform for their child is to choose the sheets for their infant’s bed.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Sew and donate flat sheets and fitted sheets to help our NICU families create a homelike atmosphere in their baby’s hospital room.
- Cotton or flannel fabric may be used for sheets.
- Cotton fabrics are preferred because they will last three times longer than flannel.
- Please use cute baby prints or modern prints preferred by new moms for their nurseries.
- Bright, bold colors will stand up to the hospital’s harsh laundry best. See photo examples.
- If using flannel fabric, many reds and black patterns will bleed and are not recommended.
- Do not use fleece fabric for the flat sheets or fitted sheets
HOW DO I MAKE BEDDING FOR THE NICU?
Just visit our NICU bedding page on this website for all the sewing instructions.
OR, you can donate fabric and we will find the sewers.
- Flat sheet: 1 yard bright, colorful cotton or flannel
- Fitted sheet: 1.5 yards bright, colorful cotton or flannel
Flat Sheets: 600
Fitted Sheets: 400
NOTE: We have an overabundance of fleece pads at this time.
DONATION DEADLINE: February 1, 2021
The donation drive starts November 1 2020 and will run until February 1, 2021
Mail your donation to:
The Preemie Project
2607 Flagstone Court
Coralville, IA 52241
You can also drop off your donation on the front step of the above address. Be sure to include your name, address, and email so we know who to thank