The mission of The Preemie Project NICU Bedding Program is to create a comfortable, colorful environment for families with donations of soft colorful sheets. Initially, infants in the NICU are very critically ill. Most of the caregiving activities are performed by nursing staff. Often, the only caregiving act parents can perform for their child is to choose the sheets for their infant’s bed.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Sew and donate flat sheets, fitted sheets and fleece pads to help our NICU families create a homelike atmosphere in their baby’s hospital room.
- Cottons or flannel fabric may be used for sheets.
- Cotton fabrics are preferred because they will last three times longer than flannel.
- Please use cute baby prints or modern prints preferred by new moms for their nurseries.
- Bright, bold colors will stand up to the hospital harsh laundry best. See photo examples.
- If using flannel fabric, many reds and black patterns will bleed and are not recommended.
HOW DO I MAKE BEDDING FOR THE NICU?
- Uses 1 yard of bright, colorful, baby print cotton or flannel; serge around the entire piece.
- If you do not own a serger, sew a narrow hem by folding it over twice, less than a 1/4 inch each time; then sew close to the edge. Sew around the entire piece.
- Do NOT cut the piece to make it square.
- Finished size of the sheet is about 42 inches x 35 inches.
- Uses 1.5 yards colorful cotton or flannel prints.
- Find our fitted sheet pattern HERE.
- Be sure to preshrink all fabric in hot water and dry in a hot dryer before cutting out the sheet.
- Use a 22in X 30in piece of solid color FLEECE to make these.
- Serge, zig-zag or over-lay stitch over the edges to give it a finished look. That’s it!
- Please do NOT use print fleece. We have enough print fleece to last 2 years.
Flat Sheets: 400
Fitted Sheets: 300
Solid Color Fleece Pads: 400
DONATION DEADLINE: April 1, 2018
We collect donated bedding all year. If you want to have your donation included in our BIG ANNUAL donation to Iowa NICUs, please mail your donation by the deadline
Mail your donation to:
The Preemie Project
2607 Flagstone Court
Coralville, IA 52241
You can also drop off your donation on the front step of the above address. Be sure to include your name, address and email.