These are the handmade items that The Preemie Project asks its volunteers to make and send in. Click on the links for more information about each item.
Items for use in Iowa NICUs:
- Hats, Booties and other costumes for our Holiday and Special Donations
- Colorful Bedding for Iowa NICUs
NOTE: Please do NOT send any items for bereavement other than those listed below. These are the items that are accepted by the hospitals we support
Click on each item for more information.
- Knit Sleep Sacks
- Sewn Bereavement Gown/Bunting
- Teeny Tears Diaper
- Early Loss Buntings
- Memento Bracelets
- Hats and Booties for Infant Bereavement Packages
- Knit and Crochet Blankets for Infant Bereavement Packages
- Miscarriage Blankets
Third Hand Smoke Policy
In accordance with hospital policies, items from smoking homes will not be donated to hospitals for use in the NICU.Research has proven that tobacco and tobacco smoke clings to furniture, clothes, walls. This is called “third hand smoke”. “Third hand smoke” cannot be adequately washed out of fabrics and thus raises the risks for many illness in children. Please see the March of Dimes website for more information.
If you smoke or live in a smoking household, please limit your donations to those for our infant bereavement program. We will soak and wash your items to remove smoke odors before donating. But, the items cannot be donated to the NICU.
Here is list of items that The Preemie Project DOES NOT NEED.
The hospitals we support have specific requirements for their babies. We have been asked to NOT donate the following items for routine use in the NICUs.
- Blankets – The only blankets we need are those for our infant bereavement packages. The hospitals we support no longer accept blankets for use in the NICU.
- Cocoons – The only cocoons we can use are those that are part of a costume for our holiday donations. The hospitals we support do not accept cocoons for regular use in their NICU.
- Sweaters – The hospitals we support will no longer accept knit or crochet sweaters or other handmade clothing items.
- Regular, plain hats – The only hats we need are those for our holiday donations and white hats for infant bereavement.
- Developmental Hearts – If you have made hearts and have no where to send them, contact us for a list of hospitals and groups that would like to have the hearts sent to them.
- Crochet Octopus – The NICUs we support will not accept the popular crochet Octopus, or any stuffed animal, for use in the baby’s bed. This is for reasons of infection control and safe sleep protocol.